- This event has passed.
Ultimate Bowel Course LIVE in Washington, DC
October 14, 2023 @ 8:30 am - October 15, 2023 @ 6:00 pm$697
A comprehensive approach to gastrointestinal disorders allows for the consideration and management of multiple factors including nutritional, psychosocial, medical-surgical decisions, and physical therapy and occupational therapy examination/intervention. A multifactorial approach can often lead to improved management, as varied intervention is often essential. A comprehensive understanding of the physiology and symptom manifestation can improve the ability to develop a comprehensive intervention strategy tailored to each patient’s needs throughout the episode of care.
What will you learn?
- Define functional bowel disorders and bowel disease
- Recognize the latest evidence on the HPA axis and the relationship of the GI system to multisystem physiology in the human
- Define the multidisciplinary role in the assessment of the patient with gastrointestinal disorders including the latest evidence on specialized testing.
- Use a physical therapy examination algorithm for differential diagnosis of musculoskeletal impairments and functional movement dysfunctions of individual with gastrointestinal disorders including the lower GI tract.
- Identify potential medical “red flags” that warrant referral to the appropriate physician.
- Recognize the psychosocial and behavioral component as well as the expanded role of physical therapy and occupational therapy intervention to improve quality of life, social participation, and increase leisure participation.
- Use appropriate physical therapy and occupational therapy examination and intervention techniques for patients with gastrointestinal disorders.
- Develop and discuss examination and intervention of clients with complex gastrointestinal disorders in a case study format for the improvement of bowel conditions that limit people from participating socially, personally, and relationally.